Monday 30 June, 2008

Canada Chronicles Continue-- Movies


The University of Toronto or as the students called it U of T has about 8 to 10 libraries and each library has some collection of movie vcds. So while I finished my courses and didn’t have much to do over the summer I decided to make use of the lazy days watching all the movies I could hold of and reading all the books I could. The libraries have mind-blowing collection of old Hollywood classics and world cinema like they have all of Ray’s movies. Some of the movies I saw during the lazy summer of 06 and liked are ‘Gentlemen's Agreement’ with Gregory Peck regarding anti Semitic feelings in America in 1950s, ‘Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner’ of course Sidney Poiter looking dashing as ever—a movie about white woman marrying black man and their families reaction; ‘Shadowlines’ Anthony Hopkins in a romantic role, ‘64 Charring Cross’ again Anthony Hopkins in a romantic role, ‘The Graduate’ with Simon & Garfunkel’s amazing songs, ‘Emperor's Club’ of Kelvin Kline, ‘Before Sunset’ and a whole lot others whose names I cant even remember. Some of the classics I saw for the second, third time like ‘Casablanca’, ‘My Fair Lady’, ‘Gone with the Wind’, ‘The Sound of Music’, ‘Mary Poppins, ‘The Wizard of Oz’, Gods Must be Crazy’ etc. I love Hollywood movies mainly because of the tightly controlled plot and drama. Even saw some interesting foreign movies especially Italian and European.

1 comment:

  1. If you can get your hands on them please watch - City of God (Brazil), Colour of Paradise (Iran) and The Sea Within (Spain). I am sure you will love them. City of God will disturb you so be warned......

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, thanks for your comment, let me take a peek and I will soon post it. Cheers!